Andhra University BE/B.Tech Mechanical Engineering Engineering Thermodynamics-III 2012 Previous Paper
1. (a) Draw the indicator diesel and atkinson cycle.
(b) What is meant by mean effective pressure and its relevance?
(c) What is adiabatic efficiency?
(d) What is the use of a carburettor?
(e) What is delay period?
(f) Define mechanical efficiency and air standard efficiency ?
(g) Draw a typical closed cycle gas turbine plant ?
- 2. Discuss in detail about wind energy and wind mills.
3.(a) Derive the expression for indicated thermal efficiency and volumetric efficiency of an IC engine.
(b) An engine 200mm bore and 300 mm stroke works on otto cycle. The clearance volume is 16 x105 mm3.The initial pressure and temperature are 1 atm and 60 degree C.If the maximum pressure is limited to 24 atm find:
i. Air standard efficiency and
ii. Mean effective pressure.
4. (a) Explain the phenomenon of different stages of combustion in a diesel engine.
(b) What is the effect of excessive clearance on the performance of an air compressor?
5. (a) Give the classification of reaction and explain any one.
(b) Explain in detail about Rockets.
6. Explain axial flow compressor and semi closed cycle of gas turbine plant.
7. (a) Working from first principles derive an expression for work done on air in a reciprocating compressor in terms of pressure ratio.
(b) Lists the users of compressed air.
8. (a) Explain the techniques for improving the gas turbine plant efficiently .
(b) Why intercooling is required for multistage compression?http://www.stepinau.com/2013/09/19/andhra-university-beb-tech-mechanical-engineering-engineering-thermodynamics-iii-2012-previous-paper/UncategorizedEngineering Thermodynamics-III 2012 Previous Paper,Mech Previous Papers