Periods/week : 3 Periods & 1 Tut /week. Ses. : 30 Exam : 70
Examination (Practical): 3hrs. Credits: 4
1. Linear Modulation Systems:
Need for Modulation, Frequency Translation, Method of Frequency Translation, Amplitude Modulation, Modulation Index, Spectrum of AM Signal, Modulators and Demodulators (Diode detector), DSB-SC Signal and its Spectrum, Balanced Modulator, Synchronous Detectors, SSB Signal, SSB Generation Methods, Power Calculations in AM Systems, Application of AM Systems.
2. Angle Modulation Systems:
Angle Modulation, Phase and Frequency Modulation and their Relationship, Phase and Frequency Deviation, Spectrum of an FM Signal, Bandwidth of Sinusoidally Modulated FM Signal, Effect of the Modulation Index on Bandwidth, Spectrum of Constant Bandwidth FM, Phasor Diagram for FM Signals,
3. FM Generation:
Parameter variation method, Indirect method of Frequency Modulation (Armstrong Method), Frequency Multiplication, PLL FM Demodulator, Pre – emphasis and De – emphasis, Comparison of FM and AM.
4. Noise In AM and FM Systems:
Sources of Noise, Resistor Noise, Shot Noise, Calculation of Noise in a Linear System, Noise in AM Systems, Noise in Angle Modulation Systems, Comparison between AM and FM with respect to Noise, Threshold Improvement in Discriminators, Comparisons between AM and FM.
5. Radio Transmitters:
Classification of Radio Transmitters, AM and FM Transmitters, Radio Telegraph and Telephone Transmitters, SSB Transmitters.
6. Radio Receivers:
Radio receiver Types, AM Receivers – RF Section, Frequency Changing and Tracking, Intermediate Frequency and IF Amplifiers, Automatic Gain Control (AGC); FM Receivers – Amplitude Limiting, FM Demodulators, Ratio Detectors, ISB Receiver, Comparison with AM Receivers.
7. Communication Receivers:
Extensions of the Super-heterodyne Principles, Additional Circuits.
- Principles of Communication Systems, H. Taub and D. L. Schilling, McGraw Hill, 1971.
- Communication Systems, Simon Haykins (2nd Edition).
- Electronic Communication Systems, G. Kennedy, McGraw Hill, 1977 (2nd Edition).
1. Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems, B. P. Lathi (2nd Edition).
2. Electronic Communications Modulation and Transmission, Robert J. Schoenbeck, PHI N. Delhi, 1999.