Electronic Devices And Circuits Syllabus
Periods/week : 3 Periods & 1 Tut /week. Ses. : 30 Exam : 70
Examination (Practical): 3hrs. Credits: 4
1. Energy Band Theory of Solids
Intrinsic and Extrinsic Semiconductors Doping, Doping Materials, Carrier Mobility, Conductivity, Diffusion and continuity equation, Hall – Effect and its Application.
2. Semiconductor Diodes
Band structure of PN Junction, Quantitative Theory of PN Diode, Volt – Amp. Characteristics, Temperature Dependence, Transition and Diffusion Capacitance of PN Junction, Zener and Avalanche Breakdowns, Tunnel Diode, LED, Schottky Barrier Diode, Varactor Diode, Photo Diode, PIN Diode, Point Contact Diode.
3. Diode Rectifiers
Half-wave, Full-wave and Bridge Rectifiers with and without Filters, Ripple Factor and Regulation Characteristics.
4. Bipolar Junction Transister
NPN and PNP junction Transistor, Characteristics of Current Flow across the Base Regions, Minority and Majority Carrier Profiles, CB, CE and CC Configurations and their Input and Output Characteristics. Comparison of CE, CB and CC Configurations. Junction Biasing for Saturation, Cutoff and Active Region, a and b Parameters and the relation between them.
JFET and its characteristics, Pinch off Voltage, Drain Saturation Current, MOSFET – Enhancement and Depletion Modes, Small signal models of FET.
6. Transistor Biasing Circuits
Various Biasing Circuits and Stabilization, Thermal Runaway, Thermal Stability, Biasing of FETs.
7. Small Signal – Low Frequency Transistor Biasing Circuits
Transistor as an Amplifier, h – parameter model, Analysis of Transistor Amplifier Circuits using h – parameters. CB, CE and CC Amplifier configurations and performance factors. Analysis of Single Stage Amplifier, RC Coupled Amplifiers. Effects of Bypass and Coupling Capacitors. Frequency Response of CE Amplifier, Emitter – Follower, Cascaded Amplifier, High Frequency model of Transistor.
Text Books :
- Electronic Devices and Circuits, G.S.N. Raju, I.K. International Publications, New Delhi, 2006.
- Electronic Devices and Circuits 2nd Edition, B. V. Rao and K. Raja Rajeswari, Pearson Education
- Integrated Electronics Analog Digital Circuits, Jacob Millman and D. Halkias, McGraw Hill.
- Electronic Devices and Circuits Theory, Boylsted, Prentice Hall Publications.