Data Communications Syllabus
Periods/week : 3 Periods & 1 Tut /week. Ses. : 30 Exam : 70 Examination (Practical): 3hrs. Credits: 4
1. An Introduction to Data Communications:
A Communications Model, Data Communications and Data Communications
Networking, Protocols and Protocol Architecture, Characteristics of Data Transmission: Concepts and Terminology, Analog and Digital Data Transmission, Transmission Impairments
2. Transmission Media:
Guided Transmission Media, Wireless Transmission Data Encoding, Digital Data, Digital Signals, Digital Data, Analog Signals, Analog Data, Digital Signals, Analog Data, Analog Signals
3. The Data Communication Interface
Asynchronous and Synchronous Transmission, Line Configurations, Interfacing.
Data Link Control Flow Control, Error Detection, Error Control, High-Level Data Link Control
(HDLC),Other Data Link Control Protocols.
4. Data Communications Hardware: Terminals
Introduction, Basic Terminal Components, Enhanced Terminal Components, General-Purpose Terminals, Remote Job Entry Terminals, Transaction Terminals, Clustering of Terminal Devices. Communications Processing Hardware Introduction, Switching Processors, Multidrop Lines, Multiplexers, Concentrators, Front-End Processors.
Network Attachment and Regulations, Line Conditioning and Leased Lines, Modems and Modem Circuits. Multiplexing: Frequency-Division Multiplexing, Synchronous Time-Division Multiplexing: Characteristics, TDM Link Control, Digital Carrier Systems Statistical Time-Division Multiplexing: Characteristics.
1. William Stallings, Data and Computer Communications, 7th Edition, Pearson Education Inc., 2004
2. Mary E.S. Loomis, Data Communications, PHI-N.J.,1983 (Capter 3, Chapter 5)
3. Paul Bates, Practical Digital and Data Communications, PHI-N.J, 1987(Chapter5)
1.Behrouz A. Forouzan, Data Communications and Networking, 3rd EditionTMH, 2004
2.William A. Shay, Understanding Data Communications & Networks, 2nd Edition
Thomson-Brooks/Cole – Vikas publishing House, 1999
3. Michale A. Miller, Data & Network Communications, Thomson/Delmar – Vikas Publishing